The old IB&O – CNR 1401 passing Three Brothers Falls in 1952. Photo is by J D Knowles.I remember a doctor in Kirkfield by that name…..
The Railway Heritage Centre has been included in the City of Kawartha Lakes 5-year capital budget projection for 2014 as item PR1419 Memorial Park Redevelopment and Railway Heritage Centre with an overall budget of $1,500,000.
The conductor of the last steam train through Lindsay and a train historian reflect on the last days of the rail in Lindsay Read the article
Last steam train through Lindsay
Tom Pasquino of Lindsay was the conductor on the last steam train into Lindsay on May 21, 1978. Here he stands in front of a similar steam engine at Memorial Park.Kawartha Lakes This WeekByBarbara-Ann MacEachern (LINDSAY) It was a Sunday afternoon 35 years ago that the last steam engine rolled through Lindsay.
On May 21, 1978, the CN steam locomotive 6060, nicknamed a “Bullet Nose Betty” for their cone-shape smokebox door cover, stopped in Lindsay on its way from Toronto to Belleville.
Lindsay conductor Tom Pasquino oversaw the trip, alongside Toronto engineer Bob Olson. The train had been hired out for the special trip by a group of Toronto Railway Clubs.
“They would like to have the steam locomotive to pull the train,” says Mr. Pasquino of the 300 or so enthusiasts on that final ride.
“The steam locomotive was almost a living, breathing thing as it stood in the station, snorting away at you.”
Concerned that a significant piece of railway history has been “turned into a utility shed,” the Lindsay and District Model Railroaders will ask the Trillium Lakelands District School Board to ………………..Read all about it here.
The Club is currently in temporary quarters just outside of Lindsay, pending its eventual relocation to permanent accommodation in Lindsay. We are located at 710 Cameron Rd, (County Rd 34), in the former Fenelon Twp municipal building, on the east side just south of the Glenarm Road (8). Between Victoria Day (May) and Labour Day (Sep), email us first. Go round the back to the rear door.
July 24, 2009 – Heritage In Its Rightful Place A Lindsay Daily Post article about how we’re putting our community’s heritage first. Click here to find out more.
Artifact Preservation and Railway Heritage Centre
The Club is in partnership with the City of Kawartha Lakes for the ongoing preservation of the City’s major railway artifacts, and the creation of a Railway Heritage Centre that would allow the L. & D. M. R. to put its heritage railway modules on permanent display.
The latest development is the consolidation of these artifacts at Memorial Park, Lindsay. A replacement caboose is now in place on an adjacent track to the existing diesel train display, and it was joined by the Stelco 40 steam switcher (previously at Old Mill Park) on July 21, 2009. For further information, please go to Moving The Train.